How does a local council support small businesses and works with advocacy groups? With special guest Steven Head, General Manager of Hornsby Shire Cou| Tuesday November 17
Small Biz Matters – #186 Providing the small business community with educational content and advocacy since 2014
with Alexi Boyd, broadcaster, advocate and small business owner.
Date: 17 November 2020
It’s all about Local right now. Shop Local, Buy Local, Support Local - it’s everywhere! And it doesn’t get more local than your local council. Their role in the community is constantly evolving - it’s not just about Rates, Rubbish & Roads these days; we have an expectation that our local representatives understand how we operate not only as citizens but businesses too, and support us in that journey.
Some councils achieve this brilliantly and others not so much. But could that be because you’re not telling them what you need from them as a small business? But how are they supposed to represent you if you don’t actually communicate what you need?
Bottom line is you’re not allowed to whinge about the problem unless you’re part of the solution. So that means explaining what’s wrong and how they can fix it. What do you need as a business to grow, create jobs and, as they say, keep it local.
Joining us today is Steven Head, the General Manager of Hornsby Shire Council to explain how you as a small business (and community leader) can communicate what you need. They’re open and willing to help!
Welcome to the show Steven.
Topics we’ll be covering:
- There’s a bit of confusion about what role Council in general plays in small business compared with State and Federal Government. So, can you explain how does Hornsby council currently support and consider small business in it’s approach to each of these:
- town centre planning
- Tell us about the economic development strategy which is currently being considered by Hornsby Shire Council. What’s going to change and get better?
- What would the council like to hear from the small business community to make things better for them?
- Contributing to strategies when they’re available for consultation
- Chat to your local representative
- Call the council and ask for help!
About our Guest:
Steven Head has been general manager of Hornsby Shire Council since 2018. Prior to that he was Head of Network Sydney at the Roads and Maritime Service. Most of Steven's career has been in local government, including time at Ku-ring-gai, Parramatta and Willoughby councils. He is a passionate supporter of the role of local government in improving local communities.